In May 2014 my custom made PRR Head End Car decal set I have waited about 8 years to get made finally arrived. A coach decal set will follow. I put these decals right to work! Most of the B60 and R50b I painted years ago with a mix of decals and dry transfers were traded away for unpainted models and the rest will be stripped and repainted – all just to get the later Dulux lettering color. Pretty much every car is getting a new paint job. I found that by 1956 there would likely not have been any Gold lettering left on cars. I was going to keep a few cars but they all had to go! Surprisingly the R50b changed to Dulux lettering very early on.
Some of this work also lead to the varying of the colors used, as previously I just used Scalecoat Tuscan on ALL cars. I have used a custom 50/50 mix of Oxide Red and Tuscan, and even painted some cars Oxide Red, which I never would have done even a year ago. I am not using Tuscan only again. It is too dark. The results are obvious! However, the fluorescent lights over my layout are awful for washing colors out. The colors look the same so big color differences are needed to be noticeable.
The summer and fall of 2014 will bring much progress to finally finishing some of my passenger related rolling stock.
This page is a moving work in progress.
PRR B60 and B60b Baggage Cars
I made some modifications to some of my B60 and B60b Baggage Cars. I removed the roof vents on 2 of my B60b leaving 8 square holes in each roof. I machined square plugs to solder in from the inside. I filled the small gap around the plugs with solder and wet sanded them smooth to match the roof contour. It was quite labor intensive on 16 openings. The PRSL B60 had some different work performed on it. I had some extra K4 tender trucks that look very similar to some of the trucks used on B60 and B60b. When I put the K4 tender trucks on the floor the coupler height was very high. I had to machine the center truck bushings down to almost nothing to lower the coupler height. I also changed the doors to the square window style to match a specific PRSL car. See the book “Pennsylvania Reading Seashore Lines in Color” on Page 72. I have 7 B60 and B60b cars total which is really not enough to make up a second class passenger or mail train. I may get more at some point.
All of my R50b were completed June 2014
Photos added 7-27-14
While not overly obvious here, I did use 3 different colors on these 4 cars. 2 cars were painted oxide red, 1 was painted a custom 50/50 tuscan/oxide red mix, and 1 was Tuscan only. The color difference is noticeable while the cars are passing you in the train. This will likely be my last use of Tuscan only
This R50b was made by Southwind Models in 1989. I DID use 3 colors here including Tuscan only.
Reading Passenger Cars
In 2011 I started to make some Reading Passenger Cars to fill out the “R” in my PRSL fleet. I had urethane roofs and roof vents made to fit the plastic S Helper Service heavyweight cars.
More to come here…
All photos and content © Lanes Trains 2005-2014